Tuesday, September 11, 2007

One Step Closer

Well, last night, while mowing my lawn, my friend Joe replaced my dining room chandelier with a new overhead light. This is just one more step towards getting the house ready to sell. This one is a big one because the chandelier in question is the one that used to hang in my parents house while I was growing up.

A little history behind it:

My father made this chandelier for my mother in 1963. I can't remember a time when it wasn't hanging in the dining room of the house I grew up in.

When my father passed away in 1997, I asked his girlfriend if I could have the chandelier. She said she wasnt ready to part with it yet, so I let her keep it as long as she needed. The following holiday season, I recieved a very big box on my front porch. When I opened it, it brought tears to my eyes. It was my fathers chandelier!

I carefully dismantled it and wiped away the years of smoke and the tarnished varnish that was covering it. I rewired it and changed out the white globes for candlesticks. I gave it a place of honor in my dining room.

Now, it has been put away for safe keeping. When the new house gets to the point of needing lights in the dining room, it will have a new place of honor.

No comments: